Audubon's Birds of America

My understanding is that the plates were sold by subscription, and it
was only years later, as the work was being completed that numerous
owners wanted to have them bound, and asked that a title page be
created.  It was not the original plan.

The title pages were printed on a different paper than the plates, with
the grain direction running correctly (top-bottom; the plates are
reversed, grain running spine-fore-edge) which creates a problem in that
the title pages are so large that they tend to fold upon themselves and
begin breaking down the middle and at the hinge.

That was the problem with the first set of Audubon's that I worked on.

Jack

>Everyone may know that Audubon's Birds of America was originally intended to
>be bound. (snip)

>Bill Minter

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217

503/735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyfe so short; the craft so long to lerne"
        Chaucer, Parlement of Foules, 1386