Re: Audubon's Birds of America

> My understanding is that the plates were sold by subscription, and it
> was only years later, as the work was being completed that numerous
> owners wanted to have them bound, and asked that a title page be
> created.  It was not the original plan.

According to Suzanne Low's book _An Index and Guide to Audubon's Birds of
America_ (NY: American Museum of Natural History, 1988), one could order a
complete set from the engraver, Robert Havell, already bound in four
volumes or unbound.

I would imagine, however, that most were the latter.

 Jim Carmin                               Multnomah County Library
 John Wilson Room Librarian               801 SW Tenth Avenue
 Central Library                          Portland, OR 97205-2597
 jimc@multcolib.org                       503-988-6287
 http://www.multnomah.lib.or.us/lib/about/mcl-wilson.html