Re: Disposing of Lead Type

Greetings all,

I've just been lurking this past while, but had to make sure you
didn't "dispose of" any of that type! There's a company in Seattle, I
think, that will take the type, melt it down and recast it into
complete sets for resale. In fact, certain alloys are otherwise hard
to come by, so they are happy to take any "diseased" type and recycle
it.

A design prof I know found a warehouse of the stuff, just scattered
in piles on the floor under debris and bird droppings. Collected it
with shovels, as I recall. Now he's using the resulting
"reconstituted" font sets at a letterpress summer workshop in the
Canadian Rockies.

I will buzz him a note and see if I can get contact information, that
is if someone within this wealth of a list of knowledge doesn't
already know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for all the great information!

Winston

--