Re: Disposing of Lead Type

Stacy,
     As Winston mentioned, it would almost certainly be better to recycle
the foundry type than to just throw it away. The two primary uses for
re-melted type are new foundry type (yay!) and bullets for hand-loaders
(wince). The only slight problem is that most of the operating type
foundries today use Monotype machines, which require a softer metal
formulation than "true" foundry type. I believe that there are only two or
three places that have traditional casters (Theo Rehak at Dale Guild in New
Jersey, M&H Type in San Francisco), but several others, such as John Hern,
have Thomson Supercasters which may be able to take full foundry metal.
     So, the first thing to do is to get in touch with some of the
foundries to see if they want your type. Given your location, I would
probably start with Theo (who rescued the casters from ATF), followed by
John Hern. But try 'em all until you find a taker. Good luck!

-David

Resource List from the Hot Metal Home Page at
http://www.printerstradingpost.com/htm/type_casting_services.htm
Acme Type Foundry
1720 North Marshfield, Chicago
IL 60622,
(312) 489-0200

Acorntype Typefounders
John Eickhoff / The Acorn Press
28 Honey Hill Road,
Kingswood,
Bristol BS15 4HJ, England
Telephone: 0272-677903

Bell Type & Rule Company
1128 East 11th St.
Los Angeles CA 90021
(213) 485-1609

HAROLD BERLINER'S PRESS AND TYPEFOUNDRY
Printed Books, Broadsides and Type for sale
www.berlinerpress.com

MICHAEL & WINIFRED BIXLER
P.O. Box 820
Skaneateles, NY 13152
(315) 685-5181
fax (315) 685-1220
WinifredBixler@aol.com

SHEPPARD'S
2234 West Temple Street.
Los Angeles, California 90026
213-413-8334

Sterling Type Foundry
Dave Churchman
PO Box 50234,
7830 Ridgeland Dr.
Indianapolis IN 46250
(317) 849-5665

Paul Hayden Duensing
Typecasting ~ Mat Engraving
1040 Julian Crossing
Watkinsville, GA 30606

Golgonooza Letter Foundry
Dan Carr
P.O. Box 11, 30 Main St.
Ashuelot Village, NH 03441-0111

JOHN HERN
at the sign of the Happy Greyhound
Casting hard foundry type with Thompson Type Casting Machines, mostly
borders, decorators, and Initial letters; some complete fonts not
obtainable elsewhere.
John Hern
1900 Millview
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
208 667 4043
hern@nidlink.com

Rich Hopkins
American Typecasting Fellowship
ATF, Box 263, Terra Alta WV 26764
wvtypenut@aol.com

Mouldtype Foundry
Dunkirk Lane
Leyland
Lancs
PR5 3BY
England
George Helm, sales manager
phone 44 (0)1772 456093

Theo Rehak
Dale Guild Type Foundry
4621 Route 9 N,
Howell, N.J. 07731
TEL/FAX  732-363-3590
The Dale Guild Type Foundry has been cutting and casting true foundry-cast
types, ornaments, borders and initials since 1993. We use foundry alloy
made from virgin metals in Barth foundry casters obtained from American
Type Founders Co. at their closing. All 16 machines along with two Benton
Engraving Machines have been rebuilt and are meticulously maintained. We
cast types from 6-24 points, and 72 point initials. We strive to maintain
ATF's standards of production in our artwork, engraving and casting. We
guarantee superior density, hardness and finish.

Quaker City Typefoundry
Bill Riess
2019 Horseshoe Pike
Honey Brook, PA  19344-9803

Phillip Driscoll
135 East Church Street
Clinton, Michigan 49236
(517) 456-7077
phild@c4systm.com

Hawaiian Islands Letterpress
Linotype ~ Intertype ~ Monotype ~ Ludlow
over 700 faces available
P.O. Box 12012
Honolulu, Hawaii 96828
808-988-3310