Re: Tyvek melts beautifully

I have seen the melting characteristic of Tyvek used with some beautiful
results. A fabric artist I know puts fusible webbing onto the back of some
fabric and then adheres the tyvek to the fabric. She uses a cool iron
(which is protected with a "shoe") and watches the tyvek melt. Too much
heat and the tyvek seems to disappear, a little heat shrinks the tyvek and
gives the fabric beautiful wrinkled look a bit like smocking. I have two
pieces resulting from this process which have subsequently been hand
embroidered. I am going to use them on the cover of a book about threads.

I have tried to do the same thing with paper, thinking the smocked/wrinkled
paper would look wonderful on some handmade papers. I have only been
experimenting in the last few days but the results so far have been
disappointing. I think the paper I have chosen is too crisp or thick and it
just curls up rather than wrinkling. Next session I will try some finer
paper with lots more drape.

On the same theme, I have been adhering wire mesh used as form-work in
sculpture, to paper and leather to mold the paper/leather into some of
these beautiful smocked/wrinkled shapes. The shapes are wonderful but the
detail of the mesh shows through the leather a bit like a rubbing. I'll
keep experimenting.
Would love to hear what other folk are doing with giving paper and leather
sculptural effects.

Linda