Re: Tyvek melts beautifully

In my Collage workshops we melt Tyvek. First we "paste" it with the paste
made from acrylics and Ross Art paste.  It is then coated with gloss
medium.Then we melt it with a heat gun and/or iron. This intensifies the
color from the paste. I encourage students to use some multi colors with the
paste and keep some contrast going. The final step is to iron on metallic
foils. I use the type of foils that are made for ironing on fabric ( Jones
Tones). The medium acts as a glue for the foils. The heat fom the iron causes
the medium to soften and the foil sticks only to the high part of the
wrinkles from the melting. Different types of Tyvek melt very differently. My
favorite is the fabric grade Tyvek. When it melts it leaves long strings and
the holes caused by the melting are surrounded by "spidery" fibers that hold
the metallic foils. The envelope from the post office look something like
moon craters when melted. I first washed the envelopes in my washing machine
to soften the tyvek.  It is rather hard after melting and could be used for a
book cover with ttle support.  The textures are quite wonderful.  The foils
of course will probably tarnish and while this is great for experimental
stuff,  not good for conservation.  I don't have sources for the various
types of Tyvek, my experiements so far have been done only with materials
that I am recycling . Softer Tyveks are used for packing furniture and the
fabric grade is used for protective clothing.  Jacqueline