Re: Tyvek melts beautifully

I bet tyvek does melt beautifully.   However, while I read with great
interest your explananitons about the wonderful collage pieces made by
melting tyvek and paste, and adding other visual treats, the whole time I
was reading my head was filled with bells and whistles about fumes and
toxins.   I went through some OSHA training for artists and we learned that
just because you can't smell it doesn't mean you aren't being poisoned. I
hope you are checking in to this with the manufacturers.

I had a new roof put on this spring ("torch-down" rubber) and asked the
contractor for the scraps. They were more than happy to give them to me and
said I could use my heat gun to melt them together or to other things but
they warned  me over and over to work out doors.

I think twice these days about the use or misuse of things that were
intended to be used in one manner and then we (artists) go and used them in
another fashion.  It just makes sense to be cautious if we want to live a
decent healthy life.  I think of my printmaking teacher in college (1970's)
who had the shakes from chemical exposure when he was in his late forties.

Kitty