bertha rogers beowulf exhibit moves to jefferson mkt library nyc

ANNOUNCING: AN ILLUMINATED EXHIBIT BY BERTHA
ROGERS, AUTHOR OF THE NEW ILLUSTRATED TRANSLATION
OF =93BEOWULF=94 (BIRCH BROOK PRESS, 2000)
at the JEFFERSON MARKET REGIONAL BRANCH of the New
York Public Library
425 AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS AT 10TH STREET
NEW YORK NY 10011
212-243-4334 for INFORMATION

JUNE 1 - 30, 2001
READING BY THE ARTIST/TRANSLATOR:  JUNE 2, 2 PM
FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Hours of the exhibit:
Monday, Wednesday, 12 -8 p.m.
Tuesday, Friday, 12 - 6 p.m.
Thursday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

"Thanks to you (and no doubt to the old bard or bards) I see what a
powerful and splendid poem 'Beowulf' is.  When I came to those sea
beasts sunning themselves on the ledges I gasped  with wonder!
Your verse treads a nice line between the strict old  measure and
something
looser. . . Congratulations!"
    =97James  Merrill

"Word-exalted, she (Rogers) has found=97or when necessary,
invented=97the vocabulary to universalize and make contemporary a
venerable text while nevertheless retaining the flavor and the magic
of the original: in her translation, she has consistently woven new
words in wonderful ways.=94
              =97Gary Harrington, forthcoming in Chelsea