a question about phone numbers

Hi List,

I usually lurk here but I'm forced out of the woodwork to ask a question
for a book I'm working on:

Does anyone have any idea of the format of French, or perhaps Parisian,
phone numbers back in the '60's. Now, they seem to be 2 digits, space, 4
digits, space, 4 digits, though those first two digits may only be for
anyone calling from outside the cuntry.

>From an old notebook I found English phone numbers for the London area from
that time period, and they were 2 or 3 letters--an abbrreviation of the
exchange name--followed by 4 or 5 numbers for a total of 7 characters. I
also found the number for someone living in a village outside the London
area which was just the name of the village and 4 numbers--evidently an
operator had to connect that call.

But what was the format for French phone numbers? Does anyone have any
idea? Is there anyone old enough to have been there, who might remember?

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Cara Kendric
Philadelphia