Re: Vellum glue

You don't get glue - you get gelatin.

Having which said - I have no experience with the powder (shavings),
only with the actual cuttings of vellum. Rick Cavasin the vellum-maker
and I were talking about trying out the powder, but I suspect it's not
as good as the cuttings.

Anyhow, you cut up a fine old...piece of scrap of vellum. Soak it
overnight in an equal amount water. Some people (Library of Congress,
for instance), then throw out the scraps. Either way, you heat the mix
in a double boiler until it's reduced by about a third.

It's a marvelous, delicate binder, excellent for gessoing panels. But a
glue? Too thin, I would say.

PS - or, you can leave it in the refrigerator for a few months, until
it goes really bad, and then...Never mind.

PPS - Cecilia, could you send me/us the low-down-under on that New-
Zealand goat-scalper? Thanks.

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the
techniques of the medieval scribe