Info about paper needed

Recently I took a course to learn how to manipulate the surface of paper
with wax and dye.  I especially liked the waxing process with the
translucent effects.  The paper we used were scraps that the teacher had-
gampi with clay.  I checked the catalog and it's about $33 a sheet.  I'm
interested in experimenting with this new method but don't want to
practice on paper of that cost and quality.  Do you have experience with a
paper that takes waxing well?  Has a translucent effect with a bit of
stiffness or crispness?  I'd like to have the pages stand on their own-
not a thin paper, but thicker for an accordion style so can stand.  Any
info would be appreciated.
Marcia Buch
Canton, CT