Re: Storing Wheat Paste

Pat,
There isn't any particular reason why you should not store unused
paste in the refrigerator.  If it doesn't begin growing mold, it
will 'dry' out.  What this means is that the outer surface of the
paste will become diffuse while the inner portion becomes somewhat
stiffer/drier.

After straining to remove lumps it is a little more difficult to
thin smoothly.

The comments above are about how my paste acts;  when it is done
cooking I pour it into water and leave it under water until I'm
ready to use some.

I haven't seen anyone using a sewing machine for Mylar encapsulation
in the US since the late 1970's (zig-zag stitch) and then it was only
because that was the cheapest way to get the job done.

Jack

>Hope you can clear my confusion. . .

>I have always mixed wheat paste up, taken out what I need for a project and
>stored the rest in the refrigerator. (snip)
>
>Also in May, I was able to visit the preservation labs at the British
>Library.  They were using an industrial sewing machine with nylon thread to
>do encapsulation. (snip)

>Pat McCarty
>Book Group
>Las Vegas, NV