Re: encapsulation with nylon thread

We have used a regular household sewing machine with nylon thread for
encapsulating large items. It is a much better alternative to using the
double-sided adhesive tape because items tended to slip down into the adhesive.

The "zig-zag" encapsulation is economical, and requires relatively little skill
(except for knowing how to use the sewing machine).

We did it on a four foot by nine foot poster which was too large to be sealed
on a heat welder, and at the time we couldn't afford the ultrasonic welder,
which are upwards of $30,000.  The poster had formerly been encapsulated using
the double stick tape, and the adhesive had released in several places and the
poster (which had been hanging in storage, as well as rolled for awhile)  had
shifted down to the bottom and stuck in the adhesive.  The poster now lives
happily (for the past 6 years) in the "zig-zag" encapsulation.

I think it is a good technique.