Leather Paring

Depending on how you do your leather binsing, a spokeshave (for overall paring) or a kinfe
(for edge paring or headcap paring) will do. When I do (traditional laced-in board)
leather binding, I use a modified French knife and pare only the areas by the endcaps. The
rest of the leather remains full thickness. It makes a very durable binding with neat
endcaps.

I sometimes use this method for case-binding, and fill in the boards between the turn-ins
with with 2-ply museum  board. I do a hollow back case with slits at the head and tail of
the hollow for the turn-ins, and leave enough extra leather out to form endcaps. That way
I get a case binding with a french groove that has endcaps like a real (laced-in) binding.

--

 Richard
 http://www.minsky.com