Re: problem with lacquer+gesso cover

Rezan,
This could be a serious problem, but you haven't given nearly
enough information about the book.

Did you discover the problem when you happened to look at the
book, or was it dropped or hit by something?

When was it made, and where?  Is the lacquer Asian or European?
Is the gesso really sottile or just some whiting glued in as a
leveling layer?

If the base is papier mach=E9, does that mean sheets of paper pasted
together, or oiled pulp banged together with a steam-heated
hydraulic press?

It may be more useful to suggest that you show this problem to
a furniture conservator who works with lacquer.

Jack

>I need expert advice on the matter of how to conserve the lacquered
>cover of a rare book. Two tiny pieces of the lacquered surface on the
>upper right corner have come off and now the white gesso (sottile) from
>underneath is showing. I am afraid to touch the book lest other pieces
>fall. Is this (cracking?) due to dry environment or is it caused by the
>cover itself? What must I do to try stabilizing the two layers to the
>base which seems to be made of papier mach=E9.
>Worried,
>         Rezan
>

>--
>Rezan Peya G=F6k=E7en,