Re: embarrasingly simple question

These things are not always that simple...
I had a similar problem with a miniature binding and two things helped.
Firstly, I sewed with dental floss to reduce the swelling from the
thread.
Secondly, I put the sewn book in the lying press with just a bit of the
spine protruding and flattened the spine a bit by rubbing the backing
hammer over it.
Of course, the other factors mentioned must be taken into consideration.

Yehuda Miklaf
Jerusalem