Re: problematic gesso+lacquer cover

>From: Rezan Peya Gökçen <rgokcen@UOGUELPH.CA>
>To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>Subject: problematic gesso+lacquer cover
>Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:28:16 -0400

>Dear list-friends,
>
>Thank you indeed for your advice on the conservation problem with
>lacquered cover of a book I have. Let me add that I am quite puzzled by
>this cover: all 4 outer and inner sides display the same decoration,
>namely a full spray of flowers. Being an Islamic prayer book and held
>often by hand, or exposed more to the light, the external plates must
>have faded so that, at one point, someone has decided to turn the
>brighter insides out. Furthermore, the 'new look' cover was attached to
>the body of the text with a scalloped light brown leather strip. It
>would have been helpful if people noted down those alterations they made
>and when .. and where ..
>
>I shall write directly to those experts who responded to me earlier but
>in the meantime, I wish to ask another question; which kind of lacquer
>would you preferably use on an Islamic book which dates from ca. 1650?
>
>Doing some bibliographic research on the internet, I found this article:
>
>Wachter, Otto.  'The restoration of Persian lacquer bindings',
>                  Allgemeiner Anzeiger fur Buchbindcterein 72 (1959),
>                  pp. 349-352.
>
>It might be useful to read if I can get hold of it. As it has been said,
>there doesn't seem to be much literature on the subject. Kind regards,
>                                         Rezan
>

>--
>Rezan Peya Gökçen,
>rgokcen@uoguelph.ca
>http://ugalumni.uoguelph.ca/~rgokcen/Turkish_Bookarts

>                         COMMAND MUST BE SENT TO:

Hello Rezan,
   The antiquarian dealer Rainer Meyer may have a copy of the journal in
which Wachter's
article appears; it will set you back 20 or 30 USD, but any of the
Allgemeiner Anzeiger fur Buchb.
are quite worth it, even if your German isn't good enough to get you pretzel
at Oktoberfest.
Try this link:

http://www.justbooks.de/asp/jmb/jmb_detail.asp?depotid=13743006#0

Good luck!