From: William Minter [mailto:WMNTR@AOL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 7:22 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: identifying signed bindings

In a message dated 8/1/01 4:14:07 PM, CClements@LVA.LIB.VA.US writes:

<< Is there a reference work which identifies the initials, monograms,
ciphers,
or other devices used by bookbinders to sign their work?

I, too, am interested in such a reference.
A number of years ago, a directory of American Bookbinders was compiled.
After seeing that wonderful publication, I suggested to the compiler that it
would have been nice to include the devices used to identify the work of
those listed.
Maybe now would be a good time to start a tradition in the GBW Membership
Directory? It would seem to be rather easy given modern scanners and
computers. Is it possible?
If there is no current reference, maybe it would be a good project for a
bookbinding student. It would be a good article/publication/reference for
the
GBW JOURNAL.

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike