Re: Shelf life of methyl cellulose

You don't need to cook methyl cellulose and in fact using hot water will slow
the thickening process.
Start with cold pure water and add the methyl cellulose, stirring with a whisk.
Stir until the powder has been absorbed by the water, 2 minutes or so. Stir
approx. every 5 minutes for the next hour as it sets up. If you don't stir it
occasionally it will develop a very thick bottom and a thin top. This can be
stirred together but it's easier to stir as it sets.
When I make it, I stir it together and then keep it on my work table as I do
something else so I remember to stir it.
Emily Martin