uncat book pages

Roberta--
It is my recollection that books were delivered to the buyer
with unopened pages in the days when the buyer would then go to
his own binder for the binding. The book and the binding were
very much separate objects. I don't know the time period, but I
know it was certainly prevalent in the 18th Century and into the
19th. My guess is it also was in practice much earlier than this.

At the point of the binding these pages were generally cut. You
can still find a bound book with the occasional page still uncut
because that particular signature was out of true with the rest
and the knife missed it.

The pages being uncut was in no way related to the book being an
inexpensive version.

Hope this helps a little,
Clair

Fairfax Press
http://www.fairfaxpress.com
1299 Buck Hollow Rd.  Fairfax, VT 05454   APA 528