Re: Shelf life of methyl cellulose

In the early days of our making methyl cellulose, we used tap water.
Mould began growing after a few months, even whilst in the fridge.

Then we purchased a refrigerated water dispenser, the ones which use the
inverted bottles containing spring water, which we have delivered to us
periodically.  Henceforth, when we use any water in our Workshop, we
always use this spring water.  Since using this cleaner water, none of
our pastes and glues have formed moulds.  The water comes from a natural
spring in the country.

In some pastes, we also place a small amount of thymol and tea tree oil,
both of which are natural fungicides.  We always keep a combined
solution of thymol and tea tree oil to hand for the occasional use on
books which have become mouldy after prolonged wet weather, but it has
to be applied gently and lightly, because the tea tree oil can remove
the "gold" from the spines if rubbed too firmly.

Peter Krantz

Book Restorations.
Sydney,
Australia.