Re: Mid-Life Chrysalis

Dear Ron,

I suggest you search the archives of this list.  This subject,
at least in part, has come up before.

I was told when I thought of trying to make a living at binding
that it would be a very hard row to hoe, if at all possible in
the area I live.  There are those who are making a living at it,
so, I keep wondering, too, but found myself a job to pay the bills
and do binding as a side-line.

Alot may depend on where you live and the environment there.
As one mentioned there are the stationery stores and such, but one
has to market themselves to that field.

I will be interested to hear others ideas on this subject.  There is
also the issue of financial backing to obtain enough equipment to
get started, too.

As to books, based on the input of this list (again, check the archives),
everyone seems to have their own favorites.  Mine are Edith Diehl's two
volume book on bookbinding which includes history and how toos and
Douglas Cockrell's Hand Bookbinding.

Jane Brown
Charleston, SC
brownjm@musc.edu