Re: A techical question.

Very good of her. It'll help with breeding better work habits, though for
sewing sitting is generally more productive. If you stand you'll end up a
hunch back.

>One of the things that Genie stresses in her classes is "bookbinding
>etiquette" as she call it.  You know, things like "filling in" the inside
>cover of a bookboard, making perfect 45% angle cuts at the corners, not
>using pencil, standing at the bench when sewing, applying glue to the paper,
>as opposed to the board, etc.
>
>Now, with the above things, although these may be the correct way, they are
>often things that people take liberties with once they develop their own
>"style", shall we say.

Yes for several things. There are very good reasons to apply the glue to
the paper rather than the board. As you glue something out it absorbs
moisture, and expands. If you glue out the board and stick paper on it, the
paper will expand much more than the board, but will be held in place by
the glue resulting in bubbles, wrinkles, and creases.

If you're thinking about publishing such instructions, I might buy the book
anyway, but add it to my annotated bibliography as not recommended. There
are certain universal truths regarding materials and structures (grain,
folding, adhesives, sewing...) and those should always be covered at the
highest level. A great example for a basic text which is clear and covers
those is the going out of print "Books, Boxes, and Portfolios" by Zeier.

>As a group of individuals dedicated to making books for fun and profit,
>would it bother you if "bookbinding ettiquette" was not alway followed to
>the letter?  What if instructions called for applying glue to the board
>instead of the paper?  Would that make you cringe and consider the
>publication not worthy of your time or money?  Should we include some
>standard bookbinding basics in issues that include book projects?  What do
>you think?  Who's written the definative book on basic instructions?  Does
>such a creature exist?
>
>My goal in this endeavor is to have this be a forum for artists who work in
>one medium to perhaps try something new in a different medium, to expand
>their creative horizons, and to incorporate them somehow in their art.

Very laudable, but make sure you don't dumb things down too much. Causes
more problems down the road.

>  My general feelings are that we should be showing the "right" way to do
>something, whatever it is we are doing.  Most of the things I listed above
>have good reasons for doing them the standard way, no?

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>