Re: Mid-Life Chrysalis

Hi everyone,

I am new to the list - my name is Sarah Brooks and I own Brooks Books in
Raleigh, NC. I thought I would give my brief (about two and a half
years) experience with a table-top bindery. My equipment is bare bones
and my "studio" takes over the house sometimes. I prefer to work with
grade A materials and more complicated binding techniques, and it is
definitely harder to find a buyer than the quickie, simple stuff. I am
always examining my product, trying to adapt it to something I will
enjoy making versus can I sell it and make at least a little bit of
money...Then on the side I work on my art books, which are truly more of
an expression than marketable objects at this point. My biggest source
of income is really teaching, which I love to do. If you can design and
teach classes, there is always a market. I am always surprised when
people search me out for custom orders or class collaborations - the
word definitely passes along. Plus I have a really great part-time job
that pays the bills and a tolerant supportive husband. So as I continue
to break even, I don't give up.

My web site is http://www.brooksbooks.net - I need to update it with the
work I am doing these days, but please feel free to visit it anyway :) I
appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Sarah