Re: A techical question.

Dear Kathie,

     Aaaahhhhhhhh... the "proper etiquette"!  Here's a bit of my background and
experience-
     I am a book artist who works with traditional materials, textiles and
metals in my bindings.  As a professional educator my teaching has taken me into
various groups at various locales, where I teach many types of students with
many different needs and abilities.  Regular gigs for me include children at the
Art Gallery of Nova Scotia and adults with the Continuing Education Department
at the Nova Scotia College of Art Design.  Lately, my primary focus in teaching
has been Book Arts.  Currently, have a Book Arts exhibition on at the AGNS that
I curated.
     While enforcing good habits and proper techniques is always an important
factor, there are certainly times when techniques must be bent and altered
either to benefit the work or the  binder.  I work very hard to teach "proper
etiquette", but at times children don't have the dexterity to perform certain
tasks and technical details can leave a new binder frustrated and in a quagmire
of minutia (though many of us are obsessed and consumed by minutia- quite
happily so!).
     My personal philosophy about binding is this (since you asked!)-  when I
teach binding I am teaching the LOVE of binding and of books!  If a student
leaves one of my classes or workshops with a burning passion for more, I have
succeeded.  If they leave holding a book that they perceive as too complicated
to ever recreate on their own at home... then who cares if they actually know
the "proper etiquette", since they'll never use those skills again anyway!
     So... the audience who wants the perfect techniques will search them out,
finding new twists at each turn of a life time of learning.  Those who are
simply thrilled with the fact that they'll make everyone they know a hand
crafted sewn pamphlet for Christmas will still be thrilled with whatever
interesting ideas you can expose them too!
     Besides... in my experience using whatever materials are required to create
just the right binding... sometimes the proper etiquette gets you absolutely no
where!  It's creative thinking and meticulous habits that go the farthest!
     By the way, I'm new to the list and enjoying all of the sage advice and
interesting banter;  happy to be a part of it all!
     Ciao,
                    Stephanie Dean-Moore
                    (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)