Re: The Booklover's Repair Kit

> Hi, Ron,

I've been following your thread, and have a few comments.

The Booklovers' Repair Kit got a lukewarm review in the Guild of Bookworkers
Journal (Feb. 2001). You might find the review at the Guild website. Given the
availability and reasonable prices of most bookbinding texts, the BRK wouldn't
seem to me the way to go.

I checked out the Bindery in a Box website, and I have to say that it looks
like a nice piece of workmanship. It would be useful for someone really tight
for space. My problem is that, aside from the points raised in other posts,
you still don't have an efficient way to cut material. While a plough is tops
for trimming book edges for gilding, you still need a way to cut board, paper
for endsheets and all kinds of other things. Nor do you have your basic hand
tools. If I had $1800 to spend on binding equipment, the two things I'd get
would be, first, a board cutter and second, a nipping press. A table model 27"
Kutrimmer might set you back $1000 (don't know current prices; can anybody
help?) and a used nipping press can still found for under, I'd guess, $300.
Now you can cut all your materials quickly and accurately, crease material for
phase boxes and other enclosures and tear mending strips: all on the cutter.
And you can press stuff in the press. You can make a lying press out of 4x4s
and threaded rod when you get into rounding and backing. Get your local
lumberyard to cut a piece of cabinet grade plywood into pressing boards of
various sizes. And you've still got a couple of hundred bucks for hand tools
and material. Again, I'm not questioning the usefulness or beauty of the
Bindery in a Box; it just might not be right for you at this time.

I think Don Black sometimes has binding equipment; you might check his
website.

Lastly, do get in touch with the good folks at CBBAG and take as many
foundation classes as you can. Just like web design, good bookbinding
requires  a lifetime of learning.

Good luck!

Don Rash