Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 12 Aug 2001 to 13 Aug 2001 (#2001-216)

Dear List Serv;
I have been reading with great interest people's thoughts, pros and cons,=
 about the "Bindery-In-A-Box".  Since only 10 of them are made a year and=
 many students in my classes use them and then want to take them home, I =
offer to buy them back if it does not serve your intended purposes. I tel=
l that to everyone who enquires or purchases.

Once in a while I have an extra used one that I can sell at a reduced pri=
ce.  It carries the same guarantees, but may have some cosmetic marks.  I=
 find in classes of 10 students it is best to have two set up so that one=
 student can be rounding and backing at the same time another student can=
 be nipping or finishing.

Please contact me if you have more questions.  They will be in heavy use =
at the John C. Campbell Folk School during the second and third week of O=
ctober.  If you are in western NC at that time, come and see them.

Best to all,
Dea Sasso
Light of Day Bindery
"Bindery-In-A-Box"
800 285-3716

Automatic digest processor wrote:

> [...]

> Ron ;)
>
> George W. Bush Quote Of The Day:
>
> "It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."
> - Reuters, May 5, 2000
>
> Psymon Web Bindery -> http://www.psymon.com
> Sterling Moon Coffees -> http://www.sterlingmoon.com
>
>   ---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

> Subject: Re: The Booklover's Repair Kit
> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:55:30 -0400
> From: Ron Koster <ron@PSYMON.COM>

> At 08:39 AM 8/13/2001 -0400, jane brown wrote:
> >As I recall, there was a great deal of discussion about this
> >when it first came out.  Check the archives of the list to
> >see what was said, but, as I recall, the general consensus
> >was that the kit was overpriced for what was received.  However,
> >since the price has dropped, maybe the scene has changed.
>
> I've been looking around the 'net for places that sell it, but I can't =
seem
> to find anywhere that has it much cheaper than $90-100 or so. If it's w=
orth
> it at the cheaper prices that people mentioned, can anyone point me to
> who/where has it at those cheaper prices
>
> I must confess, that although I may just be being naive (as a newbie to=

> hand bookbinding), it does kind-of look as though with that Bindery In =
> Box and this Booklover's Repair Kit, between the two of them I'd be
> semi-set-up and pretty well ready to go, I'd just need more of the usea=
ble
> supplies (i.e. paper, boards, etc.).
>
> Am I being naive? I'm definitely getting rather intrigued with this who=
le
> idea -- but I certainly don't want to waste my money (not to mention th=
> US-Canadian exchange rate for that Bindery In A Box thing, I'd also be
> worried about duty charges!), or buy anything that isn't really worth i=
t.

> Thanks again!
>
> Ron :)
>
> George W. Bush Quote Of The Day:
>
> "It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."
> - Reuters, May 5, 2000
>
> Psymon Web Bindery -> http://www.psymon.com
> Sterling Moon Coffees -> http://www.sterlingmoon.com
>
>   ---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

> Subject: Real Gold? Hotstamping Question
> Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 20:18:18 -0500
> From: Bob Roberts <roroberts@JUNO.COM>

> Any clever ways to tell genuine gold foil from imitation? (other than
> stamping leather and waiting 6 months)
>
> Bob
>
>   ---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

> Subject: Such enthusiasm!
> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:44:00 EDT
> From: Michael Stewart <WeSpeakVolumes@AOL.COM>

> Dear Ron,
>
> I don't think you're naive, so much as very enthusiastic. If you were n=
aive, you wouldn't be asking good questions. But do remember that the art=
/craft of bookbinding is a profession for some, and an avocation or hobby=
 for others. Like any profession, it requires a great deal of training, s=
kill, time and resources to achieve the level of a professional. I am onl=
y an amateur that was bitten by the binding bug. Some days I think I migh=
t enjoy giving up a career as an analyst, and spending my days in a binde=
ry. But I don't easily kid myself that I even know half of what would be =
involved, although I am gradually learning more and more about it as I ta=
ke courses and read about the subject. Plus, I haven't been at it long en=
ough to know if my interest will stay strong or wane over time. I wouldn'=
t want to affront those who have dedicated themselves to bookbinding prof=
essionally, by presuming to call myself a binder. However, if not for the=
 enthusiasm of individuals like you (and me)!
> , not as many people would enter
>  the field, would they?
>
> While others might be in a far better position to advise you than me, I=
 could at least suggest that if you haven't done so already, take some (m=
ore?) instruction to make sure it is what you wish to do. Or, spend some =
time visiting a bindery where the staff might be willing to talk with you=
=2E

> With the best of intentions,
> Mike Stewart
>
>   ---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

> Subject: Re: Bindery in a Box
> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:58:48 -0400
> From: Theresa Milstead <tmbookworks@GWI.NET>

> I have seen Dea Sasso's Bindery in a Box and found it to be
> well-constructed, heavy, nicely finished and made of quality materials.=
 If I
> had not previously purchased some of the equipment included in the box =
> would not have had qualms about buying it. One thing I have not seen
> mentioned on the list that occurred to me at the time was the matter of=

> convenience. Each time you are ready for the next book making step you =
have
> to first set up the needed piece of equipment. I remember thinking "tha=
> will get old." On the other hand, I am currently refinishing a guilloti=
ne
> and the Bindery in a Box idea seems like a pretty good one.
>
> theresa
>
> Hand Bookbinding & Graphic Design
> Theresa Milstead
> PO Box 1118
> Bath, ME USA 04530
>
>   ---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

> Subject: Re: Real Gold? Hotstamping Question
> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:00:03 -0700
> From: "LABA.CB" <livres@ANET.NET>

> Stamp the same piece of Lether with all the differnt types of Gold Foil=

> which you can lay hand on, also stamp with genuine Gold Foil.
> The difference is in the luster, the reflection of Light from the surfa=
ce of
> the gold, takes some experince to really tell.
>
> charles

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> Tim Sheppard                    tim@lilliput-p.win-uk.net
> Lilliput Press   -   Publisher of fine books in miniature
> England                         http://www.lilliput.co.uk
>                       The Storytelling FAQ is hosted here
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

> [...]
> Now you can cut all your materials quickly and accurately, crease mater=
ial for
> phase boxes and other enclosures and tear mending strips: all on the cu=
tter.
> And you can press stuff in the press. You can make a lying press out of=
 4x4s
> and threaded rod when you get into rounding and backing. Get your local=

> lumberyard to cut a piece of cabinet grade plywood into pressing boards=
 of
> various sizes. And you've still got a couple of hundred bucks for hand =
tools
> and material. Again, I'm not questioning the usefulness or beauty of th=
> Bindery in a Box; it just might not be right for you at this time.
>
> I think Don Black sometimes has binding equipment; you might check his
> website.
>
> Lastly, do get in touch with the good folks at CBBAG and take as many
> foundation classes as you can. Just like web design, good bookbinding
> requires  a lifetime of learning.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Don Rash
>

>   ---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

> Subject: scorer/trimmer machine
> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:02:25 -0700
> From: Claudia Stall <cstall@MAIL.SDSU.EDU>

> I have recently received a new scorer/trimmer.  It came with no
> instructions so I just fiddled around with it for a while.  I MUST be d=
oing
> something wrong as it will barely score a lightweight cardboard.  I hav=
e to
> hold it up to closely inspect where the score line is it is so faint.  =
> could not make it work on heavier cardboard as the line was just barely=

> there and the board bent unevenly.
>
> Does it have an adjustment somewhere?  Did I expect too much?  I am ver=
> disappointed as I was looking forward to making boxes with this thing.
>
> Any advice on its operation would be greatly appreciated.  I hate to se=
nd
> it back if I can learn to use it properly.  Gosh, you'd think that it w=
ould
> have at least a small leaflet with it to help us novices.
>
> Thanks,
> Claudia
>
> Claudia Stall
> Head, Collection Preservation Unit
> San Diego State University Library
> and Information Access
> San Diego, CA  92182-8050
>
> cstall@mail.sdsu.edu
>
> "Be kind, do your best work, and touch the earth
> gently"
>
>   ---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---

> Subject: Re: scorer/trimmer machine
> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:54:15 -0700
> From: Betty Storz <storz@MCN.ORG>

> There is a design and instructions for a creasing jig on page 1-6 of BO=
XES
> [...]
eral
> out of scrap board  for a workshop I gave a few years ago. I have used =
the
> one I kept for myself to score .020 cardboard, map folder stock, to mak=
> phase boxes, other enclosures mentioned in the book, and miscellaneous
> materials, but I don't think it would work with heavier binders' board.=
> haven't tried scoring that or corrugated board, which I score successfu=
lly
> with the tip of a bone folder. If I were making boxes often, I would be=

> looking for better equipment.
>
> Actually, in constructing clamshell boxes and such, aren't the cut piec=
es
> glued together instead of being folded? I could use a better cutter but=
> have no room for one. I'm still using a square and mat knife. My faithf=
ul
> printshop cuts large boards for me gratis,  a marvelous help. They cut
> board just before the blade needs sharpening.
>
> Betty
>
> At 04:02 PM 8/13/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >I have recently received a new scorer/trimmer.  It came with no
> >instructions so I just fiddled around with it for a while.  I MUST be =
doing
> >something wrong as it will barely score a lightweight cardboard.  I ha=
ve to
> >hold it up to closely inspect where the score line is it is so faint. =
> >could not make it work on heavier cardboard as the line was just barel=
> >there and the board bent unevenly.
> >
> >Does it have an adjustment somewhere?  Did I expect too much?  I am ve=
ry
> >disappointed as I was looking forward to making boxes with this thing.=

> >Any advice on its operation would be greatly appreciated.  I hate to s=
end
> >it back if I can learn to use it properly.  Gosh, you'd think that it =
would
> >have at least a small leaflet with it to help us novices.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Claudia
> >
> >Claudia Stall
> >Head, Collection Preservation Unit
> >San Diego State University Library
> >and Information Access
> >San Diego, CA  92182-8050
> >
> >cstall@mail.sdsu.edu
> >
> >"Be kind, do your best work, and touch the earth
> >gently"

> >                            UNSUB Book_Arts-L
> >                        COMMAND MUST BE SENT TO:
> >                        LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

---

> Subject: Re: Info about paper needed
> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:11:32 EDT
> From: Leigh Schrom <Schromster@AOL.COM>

> Patty:
>
> I would be very interested to receive your instructions for making Bati=
> paper, if you are still willing to share them.  Thank you in advance.  =
It