Re: How do you write hand bound?

Hello, Becky:

Your own insight is your best guide.

Note your use of "hand-printed" in your opening sentence. You are on the
right track! "Handprinted" would not work; nor would "hand printed." When
joining two words which will be used together, as a unit, to describe or
modify a different term, then hyphenating the two words is your best
choice. In doing so, you show that the two words function as a single
unit.

Thus, a "hand-bound" book is a book which is bound by hand. However, a
college-bound student is something completely different. :)

The hyphen clarifies the relationship between the words "hand" and
"bound," showing that are to be taken as  single term. Your use of
"hand-bound" in the context you describe will be a service to the casual
reader.

Good Luck!