Re: Board Shears, Cutters and Boards

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much very for all of your input regarding board cutting
devices! :  )

The Kutrimmers look great. I have a few questions regarding a few of the

1. Peter, in regards to the Kutrimmer 1080 you wrote that "... I even
managed to adjust it to cut square, even the front gauge. ..." . Does
the Kutrimmer not cut square? If I get this piece of equipment will I
have to mess around with it very much in order to get it to cut square?
2. Also you said that cutting 98pt board was a bit tough - I am still
trying to figure out the calliper and points for measuring, what does a
98pt board measure in millimetres?
3. What is barrier board?
4. Does anyone know of a Kutrimmer dealer in Canada?

While we are on the topic of board for making books I hope I can ask the
list yet another question. Although this question may seem a little
naive, I am going to ask it anyway since I am unable to answer it myself
completely at this point and I am hoping that the vast knowledge and
experience of the many list members out there can help me - and maybe
anyone else that might be wrestling with this question...

What is the difference in using archival as opposed to non-archival
board for making books with? How long does the non-archival board last,
and what happens to it when it isn't lasting any more? How long does the
archival board last? Which types of board are considered archival, and
which are non-archival? If you are making books to put photographs in -
a photo or keepsake album - typically speaking the photographs
themselves are not archival as they are usually on resin coated papers
(which are not archival) as opposed to being fibre based prints (which
are archival, to a degree of course). If you were to be making journals
would you worry about using an archival board? I suppose my question is
really this: What is the best or most preferred board to be using to
bind books with and why? To further that, where would one look to
purchase such a material in Canada?

Thank you all once again for your time, consideration, advice and
patience.

Jennifer