Re: Board Shears, Cutters and Boards

I think it actually came pretty well adjusted, but there was a bit of
tinkering I did, especially on that right side gauge. Things get whacked in
shipping, and it's not the most robust mechanism. Let's face it, we get
what we pay for. I think part of being a binder, and working with different
tools/devices is that we also need to be a bit of a mechanic. No way around
it. As I mentioned, it's not a Jacques, i.e. heavy duty commercial quality
machine, though it's very good for what it does.

>1. Peter, in regards to the Kutrimmer 1080 you wrote that "... I even
>managed to adjust it to cut square, even the front gauge. ..." . Does
>the Kutrimmer not cut square? If I get this piece of equipment will I
>have to mess around with it very much in order to get it to cut square?

98pt is about 2mm, perhaps a bit more.

>2. Also you said that cutting 98pt board was a bit tough - I am still
>trying to figure out the calliper and points for measuring, what does a
>98pt board measure in millimetres?

Barrier board is this "archival" grey/white board. Comes in 60pt thickness,
about 1.5mm.

>3. What is barrier board?

The actual mfg is Ideal, a German company. Their website is at
<http://www.ideal.de> The cutters will be under trimmers, general
applications. No info for distributers. You could contact them though and
ask. I got a new set of manuals when I lost mine in no time.

>4. Does anyone know of a Kutrimmer dealer in Canada?

pH, buffered/unbuffered, raw material. Depending on what kinds of books you
make, it may not matter. The barrier board is acid-free, buffered, and of
high quality raw material. The Davey board we have here at the library is
acid-free, supposedly buffered, but every now and then you find bits of
stuff in it. "Archival" is one of those really loaded marketing terms and
can mean many things, or nothing. You have to look at the whole package.
Materials, adhesives, structure, how it's to be used, where it's to be
stored... In terms of purchasing materials, CBBAG (Canadian Bookbinders and
Book Artists Guild has a supply directory which they send to members, and
probably sell to non-members. Their website is <http://www.cbbag.ca>.
Membership is a good value, $30CDN I think. I pay for the US so don't pay
attention to the Canadian price.

Hope this helps,

p.

>What is the difference in using archival as opposed to non-archival
>board for making books with? How long does the non-archival board last,
>and what happens to it when it isn't lasting any more? How long does the
>archival board last? Which types of board are considered archival, and
>which are non-archival? If you are making books to put photographs in -
>a photo or keepsake album - typically speaking the photographs
>themselves are not archival as they are usually on resin coated papers
>(which are not archival) as opposed to being fibre based prints (which
>are archival, to a degree of course). If you were to be making journals
>would you worry about using an archival board? I suppose my question is
>really this: What is the best or most preferred board to be using to
>bind books with and why? To further that, where would one look to
>purchase such a material in Canada?

Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>