Re: Fore-edge painting jig

Jeffrey,
Back in the late '70'-early 80's there was a journal called something
like _Northwest Book Arts_ (my copies are in storage) and one issue
had an article describing fore-edge painting and the accompanying
photographs showed the jig the artist used to hold the pages fanned
out for painting.

But I don't think it would be a good idea to leave a fore-edge painting
on display for very long, because the textblock will soon take a set
which might be difficult to get out.

A couple of tubes in a simple framework would do it.  A large tube
between the back board and the textblock (about the middle) and a
smaller tube between the front board and textblock (toward the fore-edge)
brought down and locked in place when the edge was fanned enough to view
the painting.

Jack

>I recently had a request concerning a stand on which to display fore-edge
>paintings. I have not heard of any, but the artist must have used some kind
>of a clamp to hold the fore-edge in position to paint it.
>
>Has anyone heard of or seen such a device? Or better yet, know of a supplier?

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217