[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Fore-edge painting jig

           See footer at the bottom of this message (or top of
     the digest) for instructions on searching the archive, setting
                  your list options,and unsubscribing.

Back in the late '70'-early 80's there was a journal called something
like _Northwest Book Arts_ (my copies are in storage) and one issue
had an article describing fore-edge painting and the accompanying
photographs showed the jig the artist used to hold the pages fanned
out for painting.

But I don't think it would be a good idea to leave a fore-edge painting
on display for very long, because the textblock will soon take a set
which might be difficult to get out.

A couple of tubes in a simple framework would do it.  A large tube
between the back board and the textblock (about the middle) and a
smaller tube between the front board and textblock (toward the fore-edge)
brought down and locked in place when the edge was fanned enough to view
the painting.


>I recently had a request concerning a stand on which to display fore-edge
>paintings. I have not heard of any, but the artist must have used some kind
>of a clamp to hold the fore-edge in position to paint it.
>Has anyone heard of or seen such a device? Or better yet, know of a supplier?

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217

503/735-3942  (voice/fax)


"The lyfe so short; the craft so long to lerne."
Chaucer  _Parlement of Foules_ 1386

            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

        To unsubscribe, type the following into the message body:
                            UNSUB Book_Arts-L
                        COMMAND MUST BE SENT TO:

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]