Photographing FRAGILE & rare BOOKS - Use of Digital Cameras

Olivia Hibel sent:

>  Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 2001 00:07:30 -0400
>
>  Would members who have experience photographing fragile antiquarian books
>  kindly give me some tips on how to safely do this?  Digital okay? Or must it
>  be 32mm? These photos are for reproduction in a fine magazine, to accompany
>  an article about a book collection.
>  How does one hold such a book open in order to photograph pages?  Do hands
>  holding books open get retouched out of the picture?
>     Any advice would be appreciated.

The following Web site describes the copying of old and antiquarian books by
digital camera.  The technique is being used to recognise the text

http://www.archivecdbooks.com/

The images show the book is just laid carefully on the platen.

http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/books/production/scan/index.htm

Rodney Fry
Berks
UK