Re: Plastic Covers

Sometimes you will get migration of the chemicals in the book cover as well
as the Mylar and this is prevalent in coatings that contain Nitrocellulose
or Pyroxylin.

This cause both materials to adhere to each other and especially in a heated
environment such as the effect of direct sunlight on the protected book. The
migration is a chemical reaction and can occur even in dark storage over
time.

This migration can occur on books that are left on a laquered coffee table
too long also. Best to keep the books in a book case away from direct
sunlight.

The mould would be more prevalent in book covers that are starch filled. I
believe that the Mylar itself does not mould, however it picks up the mould
from the cover that it is protecting.

Modern acrylic coated backcloths should not have the same chemical bonding
reaction as they do not contain petroleum based chemicals, however these
have only been out on the market for a decade and the long term effects will
only be determined years down the road.

Adele

http://www,alliancepaper.ca