60th Birthday Scripps College Press

Please join us in celebrating the 60th Birthday of the Founding=20
of the Scripps College Press in Claremont, California
September 22, 2001

FREDERIC W. GOUDY LECTURE ON THE BOOK ARTS

Hijinks at the Press: Chance, Randomness, and Blind
Collaboration in Contemporary Artist=92s Books

ROBIN PRICE

Saturday, September 22, 2001 at 7:30 p.m.
Humanities Auditorium
Scripps College, Claremont, California

How do certain fine press book artists invite purposeful
chance-derived processes into the making of their work?
Or make work that involves chance in its conception,
if not in the material execution? Some of these working methods
are closely related to spontaneous experimentation, while others
are carefully calculated. Price will survey recent work, primarily
in the field of letterpress printed editions, and discuss chance
principles at play in her newest press book,
Slurring at bottom: a printer=92s book of errors.

Robin Price is one of our own. She is a graduate of
Pomona College (=9184) and was introduced to letterpress printing
at the Scripps College Press. She designs, prints,
and publishes limited editions on a variety of subjects,
and her work is widely collected and exhibited internationally

FREDERIC W. GOUDY WORKSHOP

Chance and the Visual Book: Exquisite Carpe Diem

ROBIN PRICE

Saturday, September 22, from 9:00 to 4:30 p.m.
& Sunday, September 23 from 10:00-5 p.m.
Cost: $150 (includes materials)
Scripps College Press

What happens when the unexpected suddenly enters
our field of reference in the creative process
of making books by hand?
With a wink to the Surrealists from whom we inherited
playful games of chance with language and images,
in this workshop we will make a limited edition book
that includes pages from each participant.
We=92ll be mixing spontaneous, unique hand applications
with traditional letterpress printing. Along the way, we will
explore alternative printmaking techniques on the letterpress,
hand set and print a few lines of type, make
marks on the page in various media, and do paper collage
with a dry mount press. Paper handling and simple
bookbinding techniques will be covered.
Some letterpress experience would be really helpful.

Please join us for dinner in the Humanities Lounge
at 5:30 p.m. Cost: $21.00. Reservations required
by Sept. 15 for the dinner and for the workshop.
Please send check to the address below.

Scripps College Press
1030 Columbia Avenue
Claremont, CA 91377