Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

One problem we have run into with the name Book Arts is that we get many
inquiries from illustrators or others who think we are a group for
illustrators who do art in books.  Using Book Art instead of Book Arts may
compound this.

There was a time when a well educated young man or woman knew how to draw and
use watercolor and may have keep a pictorial journal of their grand trip to
Europe but they never lived under the impression that they were great
artists. Their experience with drawing prepared them to be the client of the
great artist.  Hardly anyone is taught drawing anymore--an audience has been
lost. I hate to see an elitism develop in book art especially to the point
where we put down the hobbyist so much that they no longer practice book
making and never develop and interest in nor an eye for the piece of book art
we may wish them to someday buy.

Patricia Grass