Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

> From: Diane Westerfield <dwester@WPO.IT.LUC.EDU>
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:51:19 -0500
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

> I hate elitism, but one has only to look at the current crafts scene in =
> the U.S.  It has been swamped by "hotglue crafters" who stick a bow on a =
> prefabricated teddy bear and think they have made something wonderful.  =
> Craft items of all types are often copied by Chinese manufacturers who =
> sell cheaper and more cheaply made versions.  These practices have damaged =
> the credibility of real crafters who have spent years perfecting their art

I don't think that the existence of junk damages the credibility of any
"real" artist (note quotation marks). Frankly, most of what passes as book
art looks like performance art to me. That is, it is utterly ridiculous and
without merit, except, possibly, as comedy. I could rave on at great length
about this, but why bother? Some kid starts painting by the numbers and ends
up becoming a great artist. Maybe it's the same with performance art and hot
glue crafters. History makes the final choice, possibly be sheer error, but
mostly, I believe, because true art inspires eternal love and that enables
great objects to survive, when they survive.

--

JULES SIEGEL Apdo 1764 Cancun Q. Roo 77501
http://www.cafecancun.com