Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

This is a very interesting subject in many ways. Being a traditionalist, I
want to protect the names of the different parts of the art & craft world.

The term Craft as defined by William Morris is very difficult to recognize
in today's marketing blitz of Michael's and JoAnn Fabric. Book Arts is much
the same type of label. Things Change. I am not saying this is good or bad.
Just, it is a normal part of the process.

I think that rather than suggesting that it be elitist to want to protect
the label, there should be a continuing effort to define the label to the
world. It is not elitist at all to be continually protecting your craft.
Rather, it shows your commitment to the craft you have chosen to pursue.
When one chooses a craft, you choose to accept the constraints along with
the freedoms of the craft.

I am primarily a letterpress printer. My objective is to produce very
traditional books in a technically correct manner. I personally have
problems with those who want to assemble blank pages and do very little
toward what I would consider a traditional BOOK.

So if there is a desire to protect the label by producing a traditional
product, I am all for it. If it is the desire to promote the use of the
label to include assembly of commercially produced parts, shoestring tied
collections of handmade paper full of weeds, and other such extensions of
the CRAFT, then I think it is a mistake.

Book Arts is just that - The Art of Producing a Book.

prints by AJ
Austin Jones
Point Pleasant, WV USA