Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

<<That's a challenge, and surely open to calls of elitism.>>

I suppose I have a naive belief that the "common man" can be taught quality,
if not to produce it himself, to at least recognize it, and can be a part of
this discussion of what is the book, what is art, what is craft, etc. How can
you create an audience when you confine the discussion of criteria to the
practitioners only?

<< there are one hundred fold more workshops being offered where students are
taught to make a structure or two in a day.>>
<<Compounding the problem is the fact that the majority of the paying public
at small workshops don't want to be bogged down with the details - they just
want to leave class with a pretty book. >>

I guess I have another stupid belief --the power of education and the ability
of a good teacher to give the student more than they bargained for. Many of
these people come back time and time again--that pretty book got them
interested. These one day classes can be a start of that education in quality.

<<And next thing you know, that one-time student is teaching a book making
class at the local rubber stamp store...>>

And perhaps that student suddenly realizes how much more there is to this
once she tries to teach it.

Patricia Grass