"Digital Book Design and Publishing" - Response to Cathy in San Diego

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:33:24 -0400
To:  BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
From: jan kather <jkather@elmira.edu>
Subject: Response to Cathy in San Diego

Dear Cathy in San Diego,

I just saw your message posted on the internet asking about Dr. Douglas
Holleley's book "Digital Book Design and Publishing." If you have not
purchased it, I highly recommend it if you are interested in any aspect of
bookmaking.

The title suggests it is a computer oriented book [and it is] but it has so
much more. Dr. Holleley's appreciation of "the book" as the center of human
communication and expression throughout history is what distinguishes his
book from other computer desktop publishing guides. Anyone who appreciates
the art of the book will find this an outstanding resource. The beautifully
reproduced imagery in Dr. Holleley's book moves it from the category of
computer text book to that of a fine art history text.

One of the things I appreciate about the author's philosophy of using the
computer to make books is that only the information needed to make a book
is discussed. Unlike a computer manual that endlessly informs of all the
possible ways one might use a program, Dr. Holleley has narrowed the
possibilities down to a very manageable amount of information. It maybe an
exaggeration, but I sort of felt like I had found the Rosetta stone of
computerese. Rather than being overwhelmed, I was empowered when I finally
understood exactly what I needed to know to make my books look like they
had been professionally published.

Computer programs may come and go, but a vast amount of information in this
book is timeless. Whether one is trying to master desktop publishing or
old-fashioned bookbinding, this book provides the inspiration and
information needed.

You can order the book directly from the author as well as RIT. The
author's website is:

www.Clarellen.com

Toll-free Phone 1-866-4 BOOK ART  Toll-free Fax 1-866-744 BOOK  Email:
hollele@attglobal.net

I hope this information is helpful.

Jan

Peter D. Verheyen