Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

Though these materials may be marginalized, it's probably easier to find
them than it would be if they had been curated more centrally under the
rubric "art". I searched the form/genre phrase "artists books" in MOMA's
online catalogue DADABASE (http://library.moma.org/), and came up with 9449
records. Not bad. A search on "Franklin Furnace" as author keyword yielded
282 records, which appear to represent, for the most part, miscellaneous
graphic materials in the archive. So research materials they may be, but
they are at least searchable--potentially visible, if you will. I have the
impression that art has typically been a bit more elusive.

At 8/29/01    06:20 AM, Richard Minsky wrote:
>This was not a "curatorial" department purchase. It's sort of like the
>Watson Library and the Met that I mentioned yesterday. The 10,000
>artists in the artist book collection are in the Library, not the
>Museum. They were put there by a librarian, not a curator. In the art
>world that's not the same thing.  It's regarded as research material,
>not art. Books are still marginalized in the art world.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE@BROWN.EDU