Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

One more example of politics (religion) and criticism:

One of the best books I've read about this is by Leo Steinberg:
_The Sexuality of Christ in Renaissance Art and in Modern Oblivion_

I gave mine away some years ago, but I see from the internet that a
2nd edition twice the size was published in 1996. He documents
thousands of examples of Christ's penis being cut off statues and
obscured in paintings by added clothing (he shows x-ray (?) pictures
that reveal the original). This related to a change in theology with
the reformation. Christ's penis was a very important part of earlier
Christian philosophy, as the incarnation of God as Man, and with the
Circumcision being the first of the seven givings of blood.

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com