Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

> From: Michael Joseph <mjoseph@RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 01:41:04 -0400
> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
> Subject: Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

>> Answer these questions: Do you consider yourself to be anti-communist?
>> Anti-Stalinist? Feel that I'm a pinko? Anti-American? Consider it trivial
>> that Clement Green[berg's]s vicious attacks on certain artists destroyed
>> their careers and, it is said, caused some to commit suicide?

> These are not questions. This is a senseless and aimless diatribe, a car
> wreck of a paragraph, with question marks for skid marks, or, maybe a car
> crash filmsplice cut from some noire-ish sixties film. It does have a
> faint, nostalgic, charm, but, in any case, it is not rational argument.

It's not an argument. It's a set of questions designed to elicit your
political attitudes. If you are truthful, your answers will enable me to
justify my argument or frame a new one.

Just answer the questions, Mr. Joseph. I don't want to be rude, but you do
tend to engage in diversionary tactics and avoid addressing my comments
directly. You might also answer why you consider a factual description of
Clement Greenberg's actions character assassination? I'm not exaggerating or
distorting them in any way. The biographical details are quite ugly and have
not, as far as I know, been challenged. I don't think that "vicious" is too
strong an adjective here.

>> If you actually read my messages, you'll see that despite my personal
>> preferences for craftsmanship, physical beauty and easily accessible meaning,
>> I was arguing in favor of broad definitions rather than narrow ones, even
>> when those broad definitions include works that I personally find ludicrous.
>>
> If I were actually reading your mind I might have seen this, perhaps.

How about this?

--

JULES SIEGEL Apdo 1764 Cancun Q. Roo 77501
http://www.cafecancun.com