Re: Book Art vs. Book Arts

>   But, whatever my thoughts on Joe Stalin or communism, they bear none of
>   the weight or genetic material of my ideas about the valorization of The
>   Book, and the nuanced interelationships between book arts, fine art and
>   some all sanctioning, lifeanddeath, idealized 'Art.' I would be amazed
>   Jules Siegel, if they were of the remotest interest to anyone else reading
>   this discussion group (Mr. Sweetwater a possible exception), who might
>   have engaged with other, academic facets of our exchange. It seems a shame
>   to leave it at a question of whether I'm soft on the red menace or how
>   bloody-minded MOMA is. Of course, discussion groups giveth and discussion
>   groups taketh away.

Boy, you bookish types sling elbows with the best of them!

I was originally intrigued last week when someone opened a thread about a
distinction between book *art* and book *arts*. That discussion became a
disputation that became a controversy! Yowza! I have to say, I didn't expect
to see that topic on a list that in the year or so I have been on it has kept
very narrowly confined to technical questions, exhibition announcements, and
other support topics.

I subscribe to two art lists, and the topic of art v. craft is an all-time
favorite, erupting seasonally in the guise of one flower or another. But, I
have to say, I never saw anyone use such epithets as 'Stalinist,' 'pinko,'
'Nixonian,' etc.

You guys must be inhaling strong volatile vapors!

FWIW, on the PageMaker list, there's a current pyrotechnic thread about the
Indonesian ship that Australia won't allow to dock on the mainland. Hooo-whee!