Re: Jenson type Subject: Jenson type From: Kristi Austin <austkris@ISU.EDU> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:37:11 -0600 Message-Id: <200109181530.IAA21760@palimpsest.Stanford.EDU> Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.philobiblon.com" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> *********************************************** CENTRAL NEW YORK BOOK ARTS: TRADITIONAL TO INNOVATIVE See The Exhibition Online, And Order Your Catalog. <http://www.philobiblon.com> *********************************************** A new thread: I've been working on a paper on typography and have a tremendous amount of excellent material (book people love to write, don't they?), but haven't found anything recent on this, so I'm hoping some of you might have thoughts or ideas. Jenson's type design from the late 1400's has been deemed very beautiful by many throughout history, and has been oft-copied and even "improved" upon by some. But the most recent work I've found was mid-20th century. Do any of you know of any currently working type designers who are interested in Jenson and have made "new" Jenson faces? Thanks in advance for your time and interest. Sincerely, Kristi N. Austin

Dear Kristi

Adobe Systems put out a well-thought out Jenson several years ago in
PostScript Type 1 format as a multiple-master font, which, I believe, included
an optical size master. They will be, eventually, reconfiguring this in the
new OpenType format. You can go to their web site and follow the leads to the
OpenType area to find further info.

All best

Gerald