Ink Jet Printers

We've had so many discussions in the past regarding what ink jet
printers are best for making books, that I just had to share my
excitement.  Epson has a new printer that is perfect for book artists. I
hope this doesn't sound like a sales pitch. I'm really just a happy book
artist.

The Epson Stylus C80 and is just new to the market. Cost is $139 after
current $30 rebate. According to the Epson sales pitch the printer is
"optimized for plain paper printing," has individual ink tanks (my
favorite feature), is 2880x720 dpi and is Mac or PC compatible. New
color cartridges cost $11.99. They  say it can print up to 8.5" x 44".

Most interesting to book artists is the "fade resistant DuraBrite inks."
According to Epson these are pigment inks that are acid free and "offer
superior resistance to water, fading and smudging." Also says they are
excellent for double sided printing because the inks don't bleed
through.

I printed some digital photos on Mohawk Superfine at 1440 dpi and had
fantastic results. Can hardly see any ink dots even in the highlights
and quarter tones. I'm not sure that I believe the water resistance part
though, I just wet my finger and the photo did smear somewhat. I'm going
to place a print in a sunny window today to see how it holds up to
fading.

Back to books,

Laura