Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 20 Sep 2001 to 21 Sep 2001 (#2001-253)

Dear friends- =20

I've been staying with friends in the "burbs" this week and we've=A0decided=20=
to=20
go shopping today. I have been suggesting to everyone I know that we try to=20
spend $100 this week to help keep the economy going...not to mention coming=20
out of hiding!=20

Charlou needs to get her sister a gift for her fiftieth birthday, and we bot=
h=20
want to read the new Susan Isaacs book that got a good review in tomorrow's=20
NYT book section. She's an author I can usually depend upon in times of poor=
=20
concentration!=20
I rarely buy hardback books... but what the heck. Richard isn't sure where=20
he'll put his dollars yet.

Tonight we're watching MISS AMERICA and Richard is waiting for me to get off=
=20
his computer so he can create a voting form.

As we have for maybe twenty or more years, we'll watch our Miss America=20
Contest, Last year we watched =A0via telephone, voting and laughing. Richard=
=20
understands and appreciates that I once longed to BE Miss America, depite no=
w=20
viewing it as high camp.

Richard HAS to be right, has to be able to say "I knew it the minute I saw=20
her." I know it's usually Miss Texas who wins, so I'll probably choose her=20
despite my personal opinions about real BEAUTY.

We look forward to hearing their silly answers to questions. Perhaps for=20
those moments when we judge answers about world peace, bathing suits, evenin=
g=20
gowns and big hairdos and while we eat ice cream, when MISS AMERICA takes he=
r=20
bouquet and walks towards us as she always does waving, we'll weep a little=20
for the winners and losers and forget our unrelenting despair, fear and=20
sadness.

Best to you all.=20
Alice Simpson
NYC