Re: Thanks and another question

Mark -

Polyester book jackets can collect moisture and give you condensation
problems during changes of temperature and humidity (as in taking your book
from an air conditioned room to a bright sunny day outside).

Clear polyester also will not protect completely against fading and light
damage.  And, although they'll help keep dust and dirt off the covers, book
jackets will not keep dust and dirt off text blocks, nor keep bugs out - so
you'll have to dust them, anyway.

I realize, with 400 books, you aren't going to be able to afford acid free
boxes for all of them.  I'd recommend a good storage area with environmental
controls, frequent dusting with a light fluffy duster and/or gentle
vacuuming.  And buy several acid free boxes for when you want to transport
books, and for storage of the fragile items.

If you are still considering polyester book jackets, I'd recommend Mylar D -
it is acid free, and holds up well.

Mylar is very easily cut, using scissors or a razor blade and straight edge.

>1.  Do I deal with the books with jackets differently from those without.
>What about the soft cover books?

Some libraries tend to either wrap the book jackets inside the mylar - you
could go ahead and do this.

>2.  Thoughts on lined versus unlined covers?

Lined jackets would help to protect the book cover from fading.  Make sure
the lining is acid free.

>3.  Adjustable covers versus exact?
>4.  Rolls versus sheets?  I currently don't have a decent quality cutter
and
>don't know if these types of projects warrant buying a decent one?

You'll probably find that rolls are a bit more cost effective - you can even
get them pre-folded and lined, in rolls.

>6.  What thickness would you recommend?  1.5 mil, 2.0 mil, etc?

1.5 is fine, unless you are planning on dropping them down a book drop.

>7.  If the dust jackets currently have tears, etc in them, should I
consider
>repairing them?  If so, recommendations on a source for good instructions
on
>how to do this?

Your best option is to leave them alone.

If you choose to mend them, do NOT use any type of pressure sensitive tape
(Scotch tape, etc.)  Even the newest "archival" tapes can do damage.  The
adhesives are acidic, and will destroy anything they are attached to.

NEDCC has some good information on their website: http://www.nedcc.org/
Their "Repairing Paper Artifacts" pamphlet is listed under Publications ->
Preservation of Library and Archival Materials, On Line version ->
Conservation Procedures  (or http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/tleaf63.htm)

Best,
Dolly Blunt
Preservation Officer