printers

I have been working with a MAC G4 and the Epson Stylus, Scan 2500.  I am
completely frustrated with the printer because it doesn't seem to like any
paper other than standard text weight.  I have backed papers with the text
weight, adjusted the "pressure" lever -- all with limited success.
I know it's a lot to ask it to take backed Japanese papers, but Canford?
Since I use this as my copier as well, the frustration mounts.  The copier
leaves globby streaks on the reverse side, even with clean heads, etc.

So, all I want are the basics: clean, easy path through the machine for a
reasonable range of paper weights which have cut, straight, edges.  Even
better, I'd like it to take sheets wider than 9 inches -- min 11" and 17
1/2" long.  Archival ink would sure be a plus . . .

So any thoughts on other brands/models you're working with successfully for
art applications would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.  It's good to be back working again after just drifting the
last few weeks.  Some of the observations (Public TV and radio, Washington
Park) were just right to lift my soul.

Martha