Re: Literacy and book arts

Roberta:

Thanks for pointing out that there are other voices on this issue, although
the report you cited deals much more broadly with whether or not studying
"the arts" has a positive effect on academic performance. This report seems
to be an analysis of several studies, and the criteria used were not listed,
so one is hard pressed to agree or not with its findings. The one causal
link that found between arts education and greater learning in other
subjects--teaching drama in the classroom--was interesting and may well
relate to similar effects reported by those who teach book arts:

"When children act out stories, their verbal skills,
including comprehension, grow more than
when they simply read the stories and
discuss them."

I agree with the conclusion that the arts should be promoted as valuable to
society in their own right, not because they may enhance other, "more
important" skills.

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH
513-233-9588

Remember: Book arts will save the world!