Re: Preparation of Armenian Bole

If you're after a traditional (ala Cennini) recipe for a raised
gesso here is a recipe.  It is also demonstrated on a video
tape I produced with Joyce Grafe, entitled _Manuscript Illumination_.

The videotape shows how to make gesso sottile, combine the gesso
with other materials with a muller on a slab, and pull it all
together to produce an illuminated manuscript leaf.

As you'll see, bole is not a ground.  It is there to color
the ground.

The white lead in the recipe is a cumulative poison, so use
appropriate safety precautions.

Gesso sottile:  8 parts
White Lead:     3 parts
Rock sugar:     1-2 parts
Armenian bole:  pinch to 1/2 part
Fish glue:      1 to 1-1/2 parts
Distilled water:  as required.

Look for a copy of Joyce's book, _Secreta: Three Methods of Laying
Gold Leaf_ 1985 (and republished a couple of times) for more
discussion of the preparation of gesso sottile, etc.

Jack

>My question is - how do I prepare the powdered/crushed bole to
>make a paste so I can use it as a ground for my gold?
>
>Any favourite recipes or advice?
>
>Thank you,
>Mercedes
>Toronto, ON